Harry Jackson Jr of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote a very helpful article that we think might help you this year. Americans may gain an average of only 1-2 pounds per holiday season, but that tends to accumulate year after year, as most Americans don’t lose that weight when the holidays are over. We all hate dieting, so perhaps this year we can avoid gaining that weight in the first place!
Jackson interviewed Amy Moore, assistant professor of nutrition and dietetics, and Ethel Frese, associate professor of physical therapy and athletic training, both at St. Louis University. They say they key to avoiding calorie creep is to balance out the extra indulgence of the holiday season with extra exercise (see below).
- There are so many delicious treats and many holiday favorites are especially high calorie, so BE PICKY! Choose those indulgences that are worth it to you, instead of munching your way through all offerings just because they are colorful or in front of you.
- BE MINDFUL of what you are eating. Try to eat more slowly and truly savor enjoy each bite. You will find you get more enjoyment out of your holiday meals, will be more relaxed, and naturally eat less!
- And don’t forget to PLAN AHEAD. Keep yourself hydrated (particularly if you are drinking) and consider preparing some healthier dishes to take to parties. Holiday fruits like pomegranates and cranberries are classically delicious, as are seasonal veggies like squash, and a beautiful salad brings color to the whole table.
- Remember that CONVERSATION IS CALORIE-FREE. Time catching up with family and friends, playing a game, and simply enjoying one another, is all calorie-free (and good for the soul).
- And back to our starting point…. EXERCISE! Getting some extra exercise during the holidays can keep your stress level down, prevent you feeling sluggish if you do eat or drink too much, help you avoid (or at least limit) weight gain, and maybe even inspire new activities to try out with your family or friends this season.
As always, Absolute Wellness Center in Eugene, OR is here if you ever need us for sports medicine, chiropractic medicine, naturopathic medicine, physical rehabilitation, acupuncture, massage, and more. To learn more, give us a call at 541-484-5777.