What is Naturopathic Medicine
Naturopathic medicine emphasizes prevention, treatment, and optimal health for people of all ages. Naturopathic medicine is safe, gentle, and highly effective, utilizing modern, traditional, scientific, and empirical methods, with emphasis on encouraging the patient’s inherent ability to self-heal. Naturopathic doctors are educated and trained in accredited naturopathic medical colleges. They diagnose, prevent, and treat both acute and chronic illnesses, working to identify the underlying causes of illness rather than just suppressing symptoms. Our naturopathic physician Dr. Kalli Phillips is able to serve as a primary care physician.
Chronic conditions are some of the most common concerns bringing people to their naturopathic doctor, particularly when patients have found only temporary relief with other treatments, but are now seeking more significant and lasting resolution for pain, inflammation, digestive distress, exhaustion, and disease.
The holistic approach utilized by a naturopathic doctor can take into account the patients overall health and lifestyle, in addition to concerns related to a specific health complaint or condition. Our naturopathic doctor spends the time to learn detailed personal and health histories, along with comprehensive testing as appropriate. This allows her to form an accurate diagnosis and then counsel the patient on a personalized plan of action moving forward.
As with all of the providers at Absolute Wellness Center, our naturopathic physician Dr. Kalli Phillips is strongly grounded in science, keeping up-to-date on the latest research so as to always provide the highest quality of evidence-based care. She clearly explains her diagnoses and talks with her patients about the most effective treatment options, ensuring they are individualized and targeted to each patient’s condition and needs.
Six principles of naturopathic medicine
- First do no harm. Naturopathic medicine emphasizes the most natural and gentle therapies, avoiding invasive or toxic therapies whenever possible.
- Identify and treat the causes. Naturopathic medicine uses a holistic approach to understand the cause of symptoms, not just treating or suppressing the symptoms themselves.
- The healing power of nature. Naturopathic medicine strives to restore the body’s ability to heal itself. This requires not only facilitating the body’s inherent ability to heal, but also identifying and addressing obstacle’s in one’s body or lifestyle.
- Doctor as teacher. To achieve optimal health and wellness, patients must be empowered with both the knowledge and skills on how to care for themselves, maintain a healthy lifestyle, and prevent and/or manage future injury and disease.
- Treat the whole person. A naturopathic doctor takes a holistic approach to medicine, treating the whole person instead of just a specific condition or complaint.
- Naturopathic medicine emphasizes overall health, wellness, and disease prevention, returning patients to their optimal health and wellness, and ensuring the patient is in the best position to avoid disease in the future.
Naturopathic Medicine Services Offered:
- Evaluation and treatment of acute illnesses
- Management of chronic conditions
- Prolotherapy and regenerative medicine
- Prescription medication
- Clinical and laboratory diagnostic testing
- Referrals for specialty care
- Referrals for x-rays, CT’s and MRI’s
- Routine physical exams
- General health and wellness
- Diet and nutritional counseling
- Sports and school physicals
- Health maintenance screenings
- Lifestyle education
- Herbal medicine
- Injury treatment and management
Naturopathic Medicine Is Covered by Most Insurance Plans
Exams and treatments provided by a naturopathic physician are covered by most insurance plans. Our providers and clinic are a preferred provider for most private insurance plans, Trillium Medicaid, and all insurers providing coverage for motor vehicle accidents, worker’s compensation claims, and personal injury plans. Your insurer is always the best place to start for questions as to your coverage, but our billing department is also available to help ensure you are well informed and in control of your anticipated expenses throughout your treatment plan.
You may be interested to learn more about Dr. Kalli Phillips, ND or some of the treatments offered such as Prolotherapy and Regenerative Medicine. Click here for more information on scheduling an appointment or give us a call at 541-484-5777.