Anyone who has been to our office knows the Absolute Wellness Center team appreciates a positive outlook and a good laugh. Life may not be easy, but it’s a heck of a lot easier when you do your best to focus on the positive, and take some time for yourself now and again to relax and laugh. And now there is research to back up the benefits of lightening up a little!
Laura McMullen at US News & World Report put out a great set of tips on how you can reap the health and emotional benefits of lightening up a little and laughing more:
- Love your Laugh. Remember that your laugh is unique to you, and you should never inhibit your laughter out of a misguided fear that you should sound any way other than how you do.
- Embrace positive laughter. Some laughter is mean, like making fun of someone, and that type of laughter won’t be nearly as beneficial for your health and spirit.
- Don’t worry about being funny. If you pay attention to who you love spending time around, those people that usually make a group feel more lighthearted… those people are often warm, fun people, sharing laughs, not doing stand up routines. You don’t need to be a comedian to have a good time and create good times for others.
- Hang out with people who have a sense of humor. Who in your life makes you feel good? Call them up, get a cup of coffee, and get out there with the positive people in your life who make laughing fun and easy.
- Know your sense of humor. We have all seen others laughing at a joke that just seems silly or boring. Find your cup of tea and embrace it. Cat videos, Comedy Central, or the Three Stooges, it doesn’t matter. Make time for what tickles your fancy.
- Look for humor. Make good humor a priority in your life. A positive outlook and taking a few moments to unwind and relax? Priceless… for your health, your relationships, and for your spirit. With work, chores, and the daily grind, you may have to schedule time each day for a little laughter. The comics during coffee, sitting with a friend at lunch, or your favorite show before bed in the evening – make it a priority to take care of yourself.
- Play pretend. Being a grown-up isn’t always easy. Give yourself permission to play with your loved ones, yourself, your kids. Get your spouse or roommate laughing with you as you elaborately attack them with a fake snowball.
- Adjust your environment. You can’t always play, but keeping items around you that remind you of the love and laughter in your life can make a huge difference during your day. Pictures that make you smile, keepsakes from a fun trip, or games discretely hidden on your smart phone can help lighten up your workplace, and maybe give others a reason to smile that day as well.
- Fake it. There are physical health benefits to laughing. Just like studies have shown the power of faking a smile to actual improve mood, faking a laugh can have the same physical benefits of relaxation and improved health. If you are feeling blue, forcing yourself through the motions of being happy can sometimes actually make it easier relax and lift your spirits.
- Don’t force the laugh. This article is about lightening up yourself and looking within for a little more positivity and joy. You can be the change for others, too, but never force it. Some people are struggling and sad, and they may not be able or willing to laugh with you. You can still have a positive impact on yourself and your surroundings, but lightening up, and be the change you want to see in your own day.
To Read the Article for yourself, Click Here: 10 Tips to Lighten Up and Laugh
Absolute Wellness Center in Eugene, OR offers sports medicine, chiropractic medicine, naturopathic medicine, physical rehabilitation, acupuncture, and massage. To learn more about safe and effective treatment options for your pain or injury to make your life a little happier and easier, or just to improve your health and wellness, please give us a call at 541-484-5777.