Written By Mary Ann Petersen, LAc
How Scary Are the Needles?
- Acupuncture needles bend. They are about the size of a cat whisker, i.e., much smaller than a needle used to draw blood or give a vaccine.
- Many patients say they feel nothing. This happens. You do not feel the needle at all.
- Or, you feel something. Keep in mind that you feel things all day, this is not that different.
The following is a list of real-life comparisons, stages of possible feelings (Most people are in the light to medium range)
Light: (most people, most of the time)
- A gentle breeze
- A parakeet landing on your finger
- Water splashing on your skin
- Remember that acupuncture (and any healing process), takes people outside of their comfort zone. For many, their feelings about those feelings might be stronger than the actual feeling itself!
Medium: (some people, some of the time)
- A high-five
- Pressure from a normal handshake
- A grasp or pinch of skin
- Feet hitting the pavement while running
- The force from gravity pressing your hands on bike handlebars
- You feel something, but it almost never scares people unless they are scared of experiencing a feeling they are not used to.
Strong: (some people, rarely, and usually for brief moments)
- A very firm handshake
- A puppy bite
- A general achiness
- Kitten claws. Prickles, a little sharp and painful at times
- You feel something strongly. You take notice. This is your chance to experience new sensations, knowing it’s OK, and you speak up if you are ever concerned about whether a feeling is OK or normal!
To be clear! Acupuncture is nothing like:
- Falling into a hive of bees
- Falling into a large patch of blackberries
- A slasher movie
Quotes from real patients:
- They Felt Nothing: “What? You put a needle in? I don’t even feel it!”
- They Felt Something: “It hurt a little bit… but, whatever. It felt like a swirling pressure.”
- They Felt Too Much: “It wasn’t bad or anything… but it’s not really my thing.”
Acupuncture with Mary Ann Petersen, LAc is available at Absolute Wellness Center. Absolute Wellness Center in Eugene, OR offers chiropractic medicine, sports medicine, physical rehabilitation, acupuncture, and massage. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions about how we might benefit you! 541-484-5777